Re: Input re: experience with hiring person/s to support seniors/
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 14:54:08 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 14, 2021, at 9:58 AM, Ruth Hirsch <heidinys [at] earthlink.net> wrote:

> Anyone who has done this, hiring a care-giver to help several households,  or
> a manager,  or found other possibilities please let us know how that went.
> We welcome input of what did succeed and what did not.

There are a couple of people that more than one person hires when needed. One
woman has been cleaning for several people for years and has moved into helping
with cooking, etc., more than once a week. Helpers that some have hired have
been hired by others.

One person had a carer move in but it didn’t go well. I don’t know all the
details but I think the woman actually needed more presence and the young woman
was told she just needed to be there at night or something like that. To share
a carer means everyone would need sort of the same thing.

There are many services in many cities and states, but it takes time to learn
them — it’s a language. If you want to be a lawyer, you have to read a legal
dictionary. And states vary widely. When we were coping with my mother becoming
infirm, we found an incredible array of services in Iowa that allowed her to
stay at home much longer than might have been expected. Meal delivery,
cleaning, hair and nail care, meds checking, etc. Everyone came to her
apartment.

My advice would be to go that direction first and see what else you need to
fill in. Some members have been active in establishing a larger program called
the Village that specifically focuses on helping people stay at home.
Transportation, conversation, social activities, etc.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC