New Post on Affordable Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 17:22:29 -0700 (PDT)
New post on AffordableCohousing.com on why understanding construction is
comforting.

Excerpt ————

People making less than $50,000 a year need to be in cities and towns where the
jobs are. They can't afford to build in rural areas where there are no zoning
restrictions because there are also no utilities. You can drill a well, install
a septic tank, and buy a gas-powered generator to back up solar electricity,
but that will cost more than the home and the land put together. Rural areas
also lack the institutional supports of city living. I just discovered, for
example, that in some rural areas of Alabama fire trucks have to carry their
own water.

While writing this, I had left the stream of YouTube videos of Boxabls running.
YouTube can be hypnotizing as it moves from one related video to the next much
like cable news as it goes from one political opinion to another. After a
while, I became aware that I was listening to the Wooded Beardsman showing me
how to build a cabin. Unlike many of the DIY videos, he has a soothing voice,
speaks clearly, and has a non-shakey camera—and is not selling anything.

By noon, I had listened to the sounds of wood construction for 4 hours. I found
it comforting to hear the simple step-by-step narration of a crew of people
enjoying putting up a small wooden cabin in the woods.

From Boxabls, I had drifted into the Wilderness Living Challenge.  The Wooded
Beardsman has his own YouTube Channel and seems to work full time making videos
of himself and others who are learning to live in the woods as
self-sustainingly as possible. There are well over 100 videos.

What does the Bearded Woodsman have to do with Elon Musk or cohousing or
housing security?

———

https://affordablecohousing.com/understanding-construction-is-comforting/

This website still seems to be a mystery to many, so please visit and sign up
for the newsletter so you will receive updates directly.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines, Editor & Publisher
Affordable Housing means 30% of household income
Cohousing means self-developed, self-governed, self-managed
http://affordablecohousing.com