Re: CoHousing HOA DUES: How does your community decide how/what goes into yours?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 11:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 31, 2021, at 4:53 PM, Ann Lehman <ann [at] zimmerman-lehman.com> wrote:
>
> PDX Commons (Portland, OR Senior CoHousing) is revisiting how we decide
> what goes into our HOA dues.  We are asking how others make this
> determination, what are some of the major decisions (by individuals, sq ft,
> units, kids, access, affordability, maintenance vs fun ect). Also and/or
> other dues you have that might not be HOA but help pay for overall expenses.

Everything we decide to do as a community, goes into the operating budget. It’s
all one lump sum. It all benefits everyone. If not because you use that
facility or service, because you benefit from living with people who do.

I have difficulty understanding how things can be separated out as “business of
the community” and “not business of the community.” Some people will donate
funds for particular events or for this or that reason but it is all viewed as
part of the community.

HOA dues are something I keep looking for an expert analysis of what is
equitable. We pay 50% of the dues as an equal share, and 50% is variable
depending on SF and LCEs (not accurately but sort of).

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC