Re: CoHousing HOA DUES: How does your community decide how/what goes into yours?
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 11:40:29 -0700 (PDT)
[Sharon says: But everyone benefits on some level from what some people
would call extras. They increase home values by increasing building
reputation, resident satisfaction, sense of community, etc.]

Liz Replies:
Sure.
We separate them out to give households some small amount of control over
their expenses. By making around $100 per month sliding scale, some
people's finances are eased.

In our case we *do* explicitly "allow" people to live here without doing
cohousing. Our 40B (moderately low income) housing rules in the state
require that we cannot *require* membership. So anyone can opt-out of
membership in our cohousing community. (A few renters and one owner do make
this choice.)

But that is not the reason for the separation. The separation is to save
money for households that need it.

Also, we've yet to have an appraiser pay any attention to the common house,
and certainly not to good feelings. While in capitalism the price of the
home is set by what the seller will pay, you can't get a mortgage for that
price unless the appraiser agrees that the price is reasonable.

-Liz
(The Rev. Dr.) Elizabeth Mae Magill
Pastor, Ashburnham Community Church
www.elizabethmaemagill.com