Retrofit cohousing [was: Re: Approaches for Affordability...
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
Patrice Crotty wrote:
> Will there be anyone talking about retrofitting into an existing
> neighborhood as an approach to affordability, since the people living there
> already own or rent their dwellings?

> Thank you, Patrice

Patrice, I do not know the answer to your question but it implies
something or at least suggests something that I think needs
clarification.

Usually the people who join a retrofit cohousing community buy or rent
and move to an existing house in the community so their housing cost
reflects the current market for the area rather than the past market
for someone who bought earlier. Depending on the level of inflation
this can be substantial.

Cohousing appeals to a relatively small percent of the population at
the current time.  That is the items Alan cited are not a high
priority for most people currently. So the chances of many current
occupants of houses committing to be part of retrofit cohousing is
unlikely.

Another aspect is that retrofit cohousing usually requires a long time
since usually expansion awaits houses coming up for sale or rent.
It also requires effective organizing to be ready to acquire houses
when they do become available.  Retrofit cohousing is a great idea but
not without its own challenges

Our block does not approach the level of communitas in cohousing but
we have great neighbors and outside of covid do some things together
as a "block club".  This summer we have met twice in my front yard.

Fred