Re: Tax on donations/gifts to cohousing?
From: Edwin Simmers (edwinsimmersbellcoho.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 17:24:14 -0800 (PST)
A big thanks to Ann Zabaldo and others who have helped us understand the tax
ramifications of an “Eco Fund” that we would like to create to accept donations
and to use to support our community’s value of living lightly on the earth.

It turns out that these donations to our condo association would be considered
to be contributions to capital and not taxable as income. We can use these
donations for solar panels, heat pumps and other eco-friendly capital
improvements that we might not otherwise be able to afford.

Of course, please don’t take this as tax advice for your community’s own
particular situation.

Thanks again.

Edwin Simmers