Re: FW: CoHo in tri state Region
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 10:37:12 -0800 (PST)

That group had wonderful land on the top of a (small) mountain that had
previously been planted next to a wooded area. It had belonged to the farm that
I think still existed lower on the mountain. The Catskills are called mountains
but really are more like big hills — certainly if you live in the West. They
had an investor group, 2 project managers, members, construction plans, etc.
They were using sociocracy and consulting with John Buck.

I don’t know what happened but one problem in NYState is that there are laws
about housing, particularly condos, that prevent open participation in
developing projects that don’t exist. I don’t know the exact legal terms but at
one point there was a challenge resulting in the legal advice to make a sharp
distinction between the developer members and the purchasing members. It arose
out of the scams connected with taking money and never producing the goods.
They held separate meetings.

It seemed so rigid that it would create a strained basis on which to work
together on developing a community.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines