Re: Coho & Renting [FWD]
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 95 07:28 CST
Catherine McCarthy and Paul Davis CMCCARTHY [at] UCDAVIS.EDU
are the authors of this message but due
to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop (Fred).
****************  FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS *********************

Is there a demand from renters?  YES!!!

Renting in cohousing has been of great interest to my husband (Paul Davis)
and I - but owning is another story.  We've both been very interested in
cohousing but mostly from the sidelines (but have been list subscribers for
over a year).

We were around from the beginning planning stages of Muir Commons cohousing
in Davis, CA and knew many of the original group members.  We were unable
to afford to be one of the original homeowners.  Additionally, six years
ago, we weren't willing to commit to remaining in the same physical
location due to our jobs/careers/schools/etc.

However, a few months ago, through the grapevine we found out that some
friends (who are relocating for a new job) might be moving from their house
at Muir Commons.  We called them up that very day - it was an opportunity
we did not want to miss.  They were deciding whether to rent or sell.  By
renting, they have kept their options open in case they wanted to move
back. Now, several months later, we will be moving in by the end of March!

----------
Some of the advantages we see in renting:

* We know what we're going to get (both in terms of the physical space and
the community members).

* The physical site is a reality and we didn't have to spend years of
planning to get it (and the possibility of investing a lot of energy in
something that might eventually not work out or might have to leave before
completion).

* We haven't had to make a long-term commitment to remaining in this location.

* We don't have to have as much money (or rich families).

* We know quite a bit about the negatives/problems with cohousing in
advance and therefore have more realistic expectations of what life in the
community will be like.

* Renting gives us the opportunity to consider purchasing in the future.

* We bring new ideas/skills to the group.

* We will be full community members in every way (except for making
decisions on long-term capital improvements).

---------

Several people have made suggestions on finding renters.
We'd just add one more - tell your friends!

- Catherine McCarthy and Paul Davis
 (soon to be cohousing residents)

Catherine McCarthy
   OFFICE: Division of Environmental Studies, UC Davis, Davis, CA 95616
   HOME:   503 F Street, Davis, CA  95616, (916)753-8389
   EMAIL:  cmccarthy [at] ucdavis.edu

------ Forwarded message ends here ------