Re: Shared Technology
From: Mona Loofs Samorzewski (monaloofs-samorzewski.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 02:58:46 -0800 (PST)
We have an intranet and all our administrative, finance, etc documents on the server in the commonhouse office. This is great for administration and file sharing. We have recently set up broadband via the server so that anyone who wants to can access the internet through the server rather than over their phoneline. Apart from the obvious advantages of not tying up your phoneline it is also free to members (we are a co-operative) so it reduces the cost of internet access.

So far this is all working well. The main difficulty seems to be when internet access goes down it is hard to tell if the problem is due to your own computer, the server or the service provider. We have very active systems managers to fix it quickly, otherwise it inconveniences a lot of people.

Mona from Australia