Painting Ourselves to Save Money: good idea or bad idea
From: Steve Faber (stevecityvisioninc.org)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:13:14 -0700 (PDT)
The bids have come back for our cohousing project. We have asked our General Contractor to suggest some cost saving options. One of the big items he suggested was to have the group complete the primer and base finish coat paint for the interiors of the units. This is a 44k item if we opt to do it ourselves. There are several individuals in the group that are gung ho about this option and are willing to organize the project. The contractor is saying that he could give us a window of time where people could get in and get their unit painted. This is obviously fraught with peril for individuals and the group in terms of possibly delaying construction or poor workmanship, but it is a big enough cost reduction that we need to seriously explore the possibility.

Have any other cohousing groups done this? What were the challenges? Or if your group decided not to do something like this, why? Any recommendations would be helpful...