Re: MEMBER APPLYING TO BE PROJECT MANAGER
From: Tim Mensch (tim-coho-lbitgems.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:31:11 -0800 (PST)
Racheli Gai wrote:
We had a member who was our project manager, and it was extremely problematic
The strongest argument I've heard against using a project manager who is a member is that: All development projects have issues, no matter how good the manager is, and it's best not to use a manager who is going to be living with you, since otherwise it's too easy to focus frustrations about how the project turned out on that community member. This hard reality dispelled any remaining delusions of grandeur I harbored about possibly managing a new development, anyway. :)

On the other hand, I've heard of situations where it worked out just fine. Here at Wild Sage, the architect lives in one of the units and is a strong community member--though as I understand it he was first the architect, and then became a member, rather than the other way around.

Tim

--
Tim Mensch

Currently at Wild Sage (Boulder, CO): http://www.wildsagecohousing.org

Founding member of Tumblerock, a Boulder, CO area community in its forming
stages: http://tumblerock.org