Connecting in Cohousing Keynote and Session 1
From: Laurie Lauer (lauriecohousgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 08:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
Don’t miss out on these amazing sessions and Keynote with Shilipa Jain.
Register today for Connecting in Cohousing
<https://www.cohousing.org/cohoevents/2021-connecting/> on April 18, 2021!

Keynote

Shilpa Jain, Executive Director, YES!

As West African elder, Malidoma Somé says, “Conflict is the spirit of the
relationship asking itself to deepen.” Join YES! Executive Director Shilpa Jain
for a heart-opening and thought-provoking conversation on building bridges and
working with conflicts. She’ll offer a look at what stands in our way as well
as share a few practices to bring more awareness and better equip ourselves to
transform breakdowns into breakthroughs — to bring forth connection, wholeness,
and healing, for ourselves, each other and our world.

Session 1

Tricks and Tools for Creating Effective Egalitarian Culture in Community

CJ O’Reilly

How can a community help develop and maintain a culture of equitable and
empowered membership? How can we make decisions effectively as a group? No
matter your governance system, from Sociocracy, to majority vote or consensus,
or whatever hybrid, there are many tools and which can be applied to help
empower and balance voices, participation and decision making.
This presentation is an introduction to some basic principles of effective
egalitarian governance and ways to inject or build that culture in community
settings. The presentation will include a balance of group participation and
presentation.

How Conflict Leads to Consensus

Martie Weatherly

Welcome Conflict! How do we do that?
• Listen with honor and respect
• Don’t shy away from people who are ‘different’.
• Discover common values.
• Be curious about finding common ground.
• Interactive with Q&A along the way.

Relational Accessibility in Cohousing Communities

Jen Ham

This talk explores how cohousing communities activate a sense of
interdependence which cultivates a way of living where disabled and
non-disabled individuals alike co-create a system of accessibility which
organically and reciprocally meets the needs of community members.

Facilitated Discussion with Mukunda Das

Laurie Lauer
Office Admin / Outreach
http://www.cohousing.org <http://www.cohousing.org/>