Re: Looking for a communications tool
From: Lauren Lake (laurenlake161gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 07:08:18 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings Marcia,

I have used Slack in two cohousing groups, and was the instigator in bringing
it to my second group. I think what sold it was the channels, so people could
focus on topics they cared about. In both cases, it was rolled out as an
alternative that we would be trying out for a couple of months before voting to
make it official.

Regarding your subsequent question about archives, we do not routinely archive
any messages, and can use search to find old topics. Neither of the two
communities is using a paid account, so there is some risk of older messages
being lost. But those messages get lost when the recipients leave or clean out
their email. A real plus is that new members can see old conversations,
something not possible with email.

Happy to chat further if you want to reach out directly.

Lauren

From: Marcia Zuckerman (marciazuckermanmac.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:21:40 -0700 (PDT)
After a long period of resistance, I was able to learn to use Slack as part of
a political campaign this winter.  For those not familiar, it’s a group
communications platform that
allows for multiple "channels" for different topics, with various threads
within the channels.  You can follow channels more or less closely depending on
your interests and needs.  Lots of bells and whistles and very hard to get
oriented to initially.

Is anyone using Slack in cohousing, and has anyone found a similar tool with an
easier user interface?

Marcia Zuckerman
Bay State Commons Cohousing
Malden, MA [near Boston]