Re: Deaf members
From: Hafidha Sofia (hafidhaaogmail.com)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 10:57:01 -0700 (PDT)
The year before the pandemic, our community was gifted such a sound system, and
it was not utilized well or consistently. It took months to get it set up (it
requires A/V knowledge or professional installation), and then there were
frequent technical issues afterward. And the other issue was that most people
didn’t want to use a microphone during meetings. The classic, “Oh I don’t need
that, I have a loud voice.”

There was a real tendency for people to view using the microphone as a personal
decision instead of as a thing needed to make the space accessible for
everyone.

My suggestion is that communities understand that simply having the tech isn’t
enough. It would help to have clear guidelines around using the microphone.
Moving forward (post pandemic) I am going to advise my community to make mic
use mandatory at monthly house meetings. And during weekly announcements. Both
of these are held in the space where we have this audio system set up. It also
requires some training to get a lot of folks comfortable with operating the
system. Inaccessibility is by design, so there has to be clear intention and
commitment to change our spaces in order to make accessibility a reality.

Hafidha
Songaia Cohousing
Washington State, USA

Sent from my iPhone