Fwd: Now we have to close against Keystone XL
From: Scott Jackson (sjackzen46gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 06:23:17 -0700 (PDT)
You know the drill.

Scott Jackson
sjackzen46 [at] gmail.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elijah Zarlin, CREDO Action <act [at] credoaction.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:06 AM
Subject: Now we have to close against Keystone XL
To: Scott Jackson <sjackzen46 [at] gmail.com>

   [image: CREDO action]

Dear Scott,

The clock is ticking fast on the Keystone XL decision. Secretary Kerry's
national interest recommendation to the president -- expected in early May --
will be here before we know it.

The past few weeks have seen even1 more2 evidence3 that the State
Department drastically underestimated the impact of Keystone XL, a
game-changing XL Dissent action at the White House where 398 students were
arrested to show President Obama exactly what is on the line with his
decision, dozens more activists arrested in San Francisco and Philadelphia,
and last week our allies came together to deliver an astounding 2 million
comments to the State Department opposing Keystone XL.

* But we can't just rest on our laurels or hold our breath as we wait for a
decision.* The oil industry certainly isn't. It collected nearly half as
many comments as tar sands opponents, in support of Keystone XL. Grassroots
pressure has never been the fossil-fuel industry's primary method to
influence the debate in the Beltway, so that's a clear signal that the
industry will fight to the end to force approval.

We need to use these final weeks to show the president that he stands to
lose a lot more by approving Keystone XL than whatever he thinks he could
possibly gain. Here is how you can help make the most powerful closing case
to the president:

1. *Sign up for your nearest Pledge of Resistance Action Team
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/1884?zip=55404&t=1&akid=10160.3204135.T2xEV5>*to
show the President that you're prepared to take action if the Obama
administration makes the mistake of moving toward final approval.
Yesterday, we crossed 90,000 people who have joined you in committing to
risk arrest if necessary to protest Keystone XL -- we need to show we are
ready to mobilize. The action being prepared nearest you is: Minneapolis
Federal Reserve Building Sit-In. *Click here to see all the actions in your
area
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/1884?zip=55404&t=2&akid=10160.3204135.T2xEV5>*.

2. *RSVP for the Reject and Protect March on April
27*<http://act.credoaction.com/go/3701?t=3&akid=10160.3204135.T2xEV5>if
you are near the Washington, DC, area or can get there. On April 22nd,
group of ranchers, farmers and tribal communities from along the Keystone
XL tar sands pipeline route, called the Cowboy Indian Alliance, will ride
into Washington, DC, and set up camp near the White House to tell President
Obama to reject the pipeline. Then, thousands of people will join them on
Sunday, April 27, and stand together to send a powerful message that the
Keystone XL pipeline and the tar sands must be rejected -- to protect this,
and future generations. *Read the invitation from the Cowboy Indian
Alliance and
RSVP*<http://act.credoaction.com/go/3701?t=4&akid=10160.3204135.T2xEV5>.

3. *Chip in to fund our last burst of organizing against Keystone
XL.*<http://act.credoaction.com/go/3697?t=5&akid=10160.3204135.T2xEV5>There's
a lot left to do to make sure President Obama rejects Keystone XL,
and be prepared to hold him accountable if he approves it -- and it's not
possible without your help.

 Stay tuned - next week we'll be announcing locations for a Pledge of
Resistance training tour in April, to train the local leaders who will help
us double the number of planned pledge of resistance actions ready to
deploy around the country if Secretary Kerry recommends that Keystone XL is
in the national interest.

Thanks for standing with us and making sure we do everything in our power
in these final weeks to pressure president Obama to reject Keystone XL.

Elijah Zarlin, CREDO Action
Amanda Starbuck, Rainforest Action Network
John Sellers, the Other 98%

P.S. Looking for a great article on why the pipeline is such a bad idea?
Brad Wieners, executive editor at Bloomberg BuisnessWeek -- hardly a green,
lefty institution -- published a piece last week entitled "*Give Me One
Good Reason Obama Should Approve Keystone
XL*<http://act.credoaction.com/go/3698?t=6&akid=10160.3204135.T2xEV5>,"
which clearly debunks every argument that oil companies have laid out for
approval of Keystone XL. It's worth reading and sharing widely.

1. "Did the State Department Manipulate Facts to Support Keystone
XL?<http://act.credoaction.com/go/3688?t=7&akid=10160.3204135.T2xEV5>,"
Oil Change International, 3/6/14
2. "Canada oil-by-rail deliveries in 2013 lagged U.S.
estimate<http://act.credoaction.com/go/3689?t=8&akid=10160.3204135.T2xEV5>,"
Reuters, 3/5/14
3. "Keystone XL (KXL) pipeline: The 'significance'
trap<http://act.credoaction.com/go/3690?t=9&akid=10160.3204135.T2xEV5>,"
Carbon Tracker Initiative, 3/3/14