Re: Why doesn't cohousing get more national news coverage?
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (Jim_Snyder-Grant.LOTUScrd.lotus.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 94 12:35 CST
Munn Heydorn asks:

>Is there a single, coherent, effective PR voice for cohousing?

No, and I think that is one of the saving *strengths* of cohousing now. It's
proceeding in parallel in many places at once.  Each cohousing adventure is
proceeding with its own vernacular goals & styles & messages. Each will succeed
or fail in their own unique way, and we can learn from each other. At the risk
of apppearing out of style for this particular forum, I care much more about
the sucess of my particular cohousing group -- New Vew -- than the success of
'the movement'. Sure, I realize that there is a relationship between the two,
but I'm not out here to create a revolution or even to create a great reform
movement. I'm out here to create a neighbohood to live & grow in. Sometimes,
the feeling of 'specialness' that comes from increased media coverage is a pain
& even a hindrance to getting the work of community done.

This is NOT meant as any criticism of anything anyone has said. I just wanted
to question the idea that increased media coverage is a good thing. We are
already doubling the number of cohousing communities that are open each year in
North America (about 32 in 1994, I think). That may be as fast as we can
successfully absorb lessons from each other, and will be TOO FAST in a few
years if the doubling keeps happening.

-Jim Snyder-Grant
Jim_Snyder-Grant [at] lotus.crd.com