Avoiding long, boring meetings
From: DanR510 (DanR510aol.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 95 10:50 CST
Seems like we're talking about two different situations here, meetings of
those still in the talking stage,  and those already together. For those just
talking, I'd recommend full use of a bulleting board  (preferably a computer
bulletin board). The need to write things down helps sort out your thoughts
and screen out the chaff.

For those already living together and seeing each other often,  forget the
idea that everyone should be at each meeting. Every time two or more people
come together is at least a "get-together". Of course only "emergency" issues
should be "settled" at the first, or the second or third get-together. If the
first get-together discussed significant issues, post bulletins of prominent
thoughts and propose a time and place to expand on the subject, and so on.
Don't think of them as meetings, but as a steps in the continuing, fluid
process. The only time you actually make a decision is when you start an
action you can't back out of.

Okay, so this is mostly what already happens. I'm just looking at it from a
different viewpoint.

Concensus works most efficiently when the main thoughts are for the good of
the community rather than "myself".