Rejecting Prospective Member/Neighbors
From: Glen Orcutt (gorcuttprowess.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:56:26 -0500
Has any group had an experience where there was someone who wanted to buy a
house, but was rejected or discouraged by the group because of personality
differences?

We recently had someone who triggered strong emotions and issues in several
current members/residents. When that person was ready to be accepted by the
group, those people threatened to block consensus.  Meetings between the new
(obviously very stressed) person ensued and many of the issues were
resolved, but a few were still uncomfortable when it came time to consense.
A further delay was forced by those people and the new person dropped out,
feeling totally frustrated and rejected!  Additionally, another family
(whose house is almost completed) dropped out in protest.

I feel very strongly that if someone agrees to our bylaws and can
financially buy a house, that they should be welcomed with open arms.
Unfortunately, I was away on
business when the meetings happened and I was only able to influence a few
people.

Does any other group have the ability in your bylaws to reject someone?  On
what objective basis can you reject someone?  Could rejecting someone be
construed as discrimination?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Glen Orcutt
Valley Oaks Village
Chico, California