CNN segment
From: Joani Blank (jeblankic.org)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 11:18:26 -0600
Okay, okay. About my recent appearance in the CNN piece. I'm pretty media
savvy, and should have known better than to say anything at all about my
favorite subject. CNN did a very long interview with me, and one of the
things I said was, "Unlike in any other shared living situations, IN YOUR
PRIVATE RESIDENCE, you don't have to share your kitchen, you don't have to
share your bathroom, and you can make love in the living room." Those of
you who did not see the piece can guess what words appeared in the segment.
(Some who DID see it are sure that I said "have sex." I guess after all
these years in the sex biz, that shouldn't surprise me.)

If you've read my posts over the last few years, you know that I care
deeply about this movement, and would never intentionally say anything to
an individual or group or to the press that would mislead the listener, or
that would  confirm an outsider's suspicions that we are a building a bunch
of upscale and sanitized communes, but communes nonetheless, with all that
implies in the public consciousness.

Although I know that some of you think what I said (even the way it was
decontextualized) was just fine, I prefer to try and avoid dissension in
the ranks and misleading the public whenever possible. So I solemnly swear,
that when talking to the press in the future, I will say the following---or
words to this effectI--"In cohousing, you don't have to share your kitchen
or bathroom, you can  decorate your residence any way you want, and you can
play whatever kind of music pleases you." 'Zat better?

Joani Blank
Doyle Street CoHousing and Old Oakland CoHousing (San Francisco Bay Area)