Re: Unit selection
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsghotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:39:29 -0600
(Joani asked about the unit selection process, when a group is largely
full and doesn't have full info on prices & configurations.)

New View (Acton MA) was in a similar situation, with the group full, and
unknowns left in both pricing and exact locations of houses. We had an
extra level of challenge which I don't know is part of the Old Oakland
process, which is that because we have a mix of detached and attached
houses on a hilly site, moving or reconfiguring any one house  on the
site plan often caused a complex ripple through the rest of the design.

To accomodate this complexity, we had our architects involved in the
site-choosing process.

The first step was as you outlined: people filled out a survey
indicating 1st, 2nd and 3rd preferences, along with a survey about what
factors led them to pick this. We had also agreed a long time ago that
seniority would be the determining factor in case we couldn't work out a
solution. Earlier versions of a survey like this had had a heavy
influence on the site plan, so the architects had a good idea of what
was coming.

The architects made some adjustments to acoomodate more people's first
and second choices, but some issues remained.

People that were interested in areas that were over-subscribed met to
discuss ways around the issues. In some cases this solved some problems.

Nonetheless, there were some puzzles that were not easily solved. The
hardest was the shortage of places that were within 200 feet of parking.
We had a few more households that wanted a situation like this than we
could stretch the site plan for and still maintain the large car-free
pedestrian zone we had agreed on.  After some hard work  on the part of
the group and the architects, the newest household decided to drop out,
seeing that they could not get the sort of site they determined they
need. That was a sad day.

I have usually greatly appreciated that New View was heavily subscribed,
filled up easily, and had very few dropouts. This process was one of the
down sides. Not only did we lose a household, but we spent a lot of
group time and architect money to try to manipulate the site plan in
many many ways to accomodate people's particular needs and preferences.
In a different world, if we were a standard developer, we would have
made guesses about what would satisfy enough buyers & be cheap enough to
make a profit on. Instead we ended up in a spiral of trying to please
everyone and then ending up with costs so high that everyone was
burdened. As a related example, since we let every household customize
their house if they paid for the customization costs, that added a lot
to construction time, which translated to extra construction costs. Hmm.
A livable trade-off, all things considered, but definitely a source of
pain that I hope future groups can do better at.

What would I recommend instead? I'm not sure. Any New Viewers out there
want to propose how people ought to learn from this experience?  In any
case, I do agree that trying to work out the speific conflicts in the
whole group does sound like a losing proposition. We had people  work in
small groups, and people knew ahead of time that tie-breaking would be
done by priority, so that people knew the process would not be endless.

Jim_Snyder-Grant [at] NewView.org

..where we are entering our second year of all 24 housholds being on
site, we are reviewing common house plans for construction in 1998, we
are just about to approve our third annual condo budget, and we will
have a big "beating the bounds" event soon to celebrate the anniversary
of our land closing & to learn what the boundaries of our fabulous 18
acres actually look like (old new england stone fences, squooshy
wetlands, poison ivy, & other thrills..)

Please excuse the mandatory ad that gets appended by my email provider.