RE: virtual cohousing/community building?
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 09:38:56 -0600
It is easy to build community around you, what it takes it time and some
effort. First step, throw a neighborhood pancake breakfast and personally go
door to door to invite everyone, maybe draw up a little flier that says
something like, come meet the people in our neighborhood. Its helpful to have
name tags. Then one thing to do after people arrive and are milling about it
to ask people their name, which house is theirs, and how long they lived
there.

Then do it again, a month later only call it a block watch party. Get people
to come and talk about security issues, kid safety, etc. and how to watch out
for each other.

Then hold another one a month later and call it something like neighborhood
shares. At this gathering organize people who have similiar interests and
stuff they could share. Brainstorm up a share and resource list that everyone
who attends gets a copy of. The list is simple like this: Johnsons: willing to
share lawn mower and carpool, need babysitting every once and awhile.  Smith:
(elderly) needs help painting her house next summer, and chores.

Things will take off from there.

Rob Sandelin
NICA