Re: Seeking Federal Non-profit Information
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 08:59:19 -0600
Jim Snyder-Grant <danasg [at] newview.org>

(Scott E. Bogard of  Sunward Cohousing in Ann Arbor Michigan
asked about tax exemption for the development entity)

New View (Acton MA) decided that the cost of getting tax
exemption was way more than we would likely pay in taxes,
at least for 10 years or so. It looked like it would be expensive
and not clearly doable to write up our bylaws to meet the
tax-exempt standards. Instead, we made sure to show no
or little profit at year end to minimize any taxes due: not
hard to do, in this business, with a bit of cash flow management.
One key piece of that was to make sure that the big chunks
of money flowing in from members during the development
process were almost always structured and documented
as loans that were to be paid back as a reduction in house
price, instead of as income.

-Jim Snyder-Grant
Where the newly opened common house is a big success! Planned & spontaneous
events happening every day. We have various comment boards up that are
collecting a lot of ideas for the common house living committee to sift
through.