Re: design review
From: PattyMara (PattyMaraaol.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 13:29:12 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 12/17/99 3:32:05 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Berrins [at] aol.com
writes:

<< It doesn't sound like you guys had an architect, because the
 front door / kitchen arrangement you have doesn't sound like anything a
 decent architect would design.  And those garages!  An architect would have
 known to build large enough for larger cars. >>

At Tierra Nueva Cohousing, central CA coast, we had architects and engineers
and a contractor.  And we still ended up with garages placed so tightly that
some of them are being used for storage, not cars.   Having all the
professionals didn't do us much good.  They planned it, engineered it and
built it without giving the community clue one that some of the garages were
too small to park in for some vehicles.   Fortunately for my family, we own a
compact car, and our garage is on the end so there is some wiggle room.
Unfortunately for others, they own vans which do not make the tight turn
necessary to get into their garages.

The key word in the quotation above is "decent architect".  Yes, a decent one
will design structures that work.  And some sites will offer unique
challenges.  Our parking lots are located on the upper and lower edges of our
sloped site.  Why most of the garages (11) are on the smaller, steeper upper
lot instead of the wider, flatter lower lot (4) is a mystery to me.  But did
I foresee the problem before it was built, and when we were looking at
designs on paper for approval?  Nope.  I just assumed it would be designed,
engineered and built by professionals, and it would all work.

Oh well.

For those of you in design stages, look carefully at the details and ask more
questions of your professionals.  If you are invested in building garages for
cars and storage both, then make sure you get a structure that will work for
both.  Here, we designed 15 garages in for a community of 27 homes.  Now
there are 3 households who very very much want a garage and cannot have one
because they bought in after all garages were reserved.

At Tierra Nueva there was and still is a stigma attached to wanting a garage
for a *car* and *storage of stuff* probably based on some nebulous ideal of
voluntary simplicity.   So we didn't build a garage for every house.  I wish
we would have built more garages though, that were designed and engineered
better.

Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva Cohousing, San Luis Obispo County, CA