Re: design question
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:59:17 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 12/19/99 5:16:06 PM, tilstra [at] smartchat.net.au writes:

<< Does anybody have experiences with offering "shells" enabling individual
households to locate walls & fittings as individually preferred? For
example, I have seen designs where the purchaser has the choice to have more
bedrooms and a smaller lounge or the opposite. >>

I guess you could say we had "modified" shells.  Many, but not all, of the
internal walls were movable to some extent.  The biggest constraint was that
load bearing walls had to stay, of course, but the newer construction
techniques, with extended beams, allowed for a lot of flexibility and large,
open rooms.  The architect said initially that there were limits to how far
the walls could be moved, but I don't know if anyone had a problem with
moving walls.  However, I think everybody stayed with the basic stairways and
orientation of rooms.  Putting the stairs, kitchen and/or bathrooms in
different parts of the shell could get tricky.

If you end up with very different internal designs in most of the houses,
expect to pay higher architect fees and possibly higher construction costs
due to the increased complexity of the project.  And don't be surprised if
some of the houses end up like at Howard's site, with poor traffic flow
patterns and rooms (or garages) that are not appropriately sized.  You may
want to have an independent architect take another look at your specific
house plan.  Good luck!