Re: Outside participants
From: JoycePlath (JoycePlathaol.com)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:19:37 -0700 (MST)
Marsh Commons has five dinner participants who do not live here.  Since we
are a small community it has been great to spread out the cooking
responsibilities and to have more folks to chat with during dinner. They pay
$1 more for dinners.  Because our common house is a remodeled truck shop we
have 3500 square feet more that we need, we developed commercial space that
is now rented to a variety of enterprises.  Some of these people pay us $25 a
month to use the common space including kitchen, laundry, ping pong area, and
occasionally the dining and living areas for a party or art show.  Again this
inclusion has enriched our social environment as well as our financial
situation.
The final way in which we include the larger community is to rent out our
space to various groups including the Green Party, the local environmental
center, the folk music society, a yoga group and sometimes just people who
want to have a big gathering (graduation and holiday parties come to
mind).The common house use a couple of evenings a month for these purposes
has made us into an unofficial community center that fills a need and again
helps us meet our mortgage.
Joyce Plath