Re: Design without cohousing expertise
From: Marya S. Tipton (sundoggburgtimes.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:27:39 -0700 (MST)
We here at Hundredfold Farm have been working with Heartbeat Cities, a
construction management and consulting firm. Some of you may know them from
the eastern Cohousing conferences. It has been worth all the investment! As
far as design is concerned, we set our goals and priorities as a group, and
they advise us how to best achieve them. Their expertise has lended a lot of
efficiency and taken much of the guesswork out of the whole process, giving
us more time to focus on the spirit of community building. (But don't get me
wrong, we still do A LOT of work!) One person in our group estimates that
Heartbeat Cities' help has cut our project timeline in half.
I strongly suggest hiring a constuction manager and financial consultant,
preferably from the same outfit. Most importantly, someone who knows how to
work with a group. Finances can cause a lot of tension, and it is wonderful
to have someone working with us who knows how to talk money and break it
into bite-size pieces for us. It also helps to have someone who knows how to
talk to bankers in terms that are familiar to them. (And who dresses like
them! You should get a load of John's suits!) Having an objective "outsider"
takes some of the heat off the group as well. I couldn't imagine trying to
decide who can qualify financially and who can't. That would be an awful
thing!
Based on our experience, I strongly suggest working with some sort of
construction management team -- someone who knows the principles of
cohousing and group process.

Peace,

Marya Tipton
Hundredfold Farm