Re: Sociocratic decisions?
From: Unnat (Zeniinet.net.au)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:15:55 -0700 (MST)

1)  The notion of aiming for consent rather than agreement makes me
breathe easier.  As does the notion of principled objections.

My group tends to favour an 'I don't really know why but it feels ....'
or 'this is my truth ...' which I have observed as usually expressing
personal objections without an explanation.  Some people are more
upfront, 'I just don't want...' again usually without qualification.
Personal needs (often wants) hold a lot of sway around here - 'if
someone wants something badly enough, why shouldn't they have it?' -
which of course is fine when it doesn't hijack the whole community.  In
case you haven't noticed, this stuff gives me the willies.

I honour intuition but I need more clarity; feelings not sentimentality.

And I want my needs met!  ;0)

2)  I'm interested in more on 'principled objections' which I see as
connecting to community mission/vision/values.  Without these, I find
that it's easy to fall to decision-making by competing 'egos'  even when
an individual's principles and values are the basis.  I don't mean that
these should be dismissed - personal principles may offer a reality
check that the community hasn't considered or articulated and I can
think of several occasions when this has been invaluable.  More
definitions and thoughts?

Robyn Williams
Pinakarri Community
Fremantle, Western Australia