RE: Design without cohousing expertise
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:47:18 -0700 (MST)
At Pathways, we hired a development coordinator, John Ryan, to oversee our
project.  He lives at Pioneer Cohousing in Amherst and has been invaluable in
so many ways.  Overseeing contracts with the professionals, dealing with the
city bureaucracies, keeping us on schedule and helping us get through
meetings are just a few.  You may not be able to find a development
coordinator with cohousing experience, but having a professional coordinate
all the details has made our lives, I'm sure, much simpler.

As for builders, if you find a contractor with good multi-unit experience,
don't forget, unless they have cohousing experience, they tend to build what
they know, which is a typical condo development.  Having an architect with a
Masters in cohousing is great and should help a lot.  However, like other
posts have said, the architect and contractor will need to communicate with
each other on the gazillions of details so you can get your development to
reflect cohousing principles as much as you want.  This can be a problem,
because  professionals can't spend all their time talking.  The hours they
spend on your project pile up, and they need to do some of that professional
work also.  Streamlining communications between your group and the
professionals will help, if everyone in your group cooperates by sticking to
whatever communication process you set up.

Good luck!

    -Roger