Re: fences - immediate concern
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:37:28 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 2/12/2000 12:05:15 PM, lll [at] crocker.com writes:

<<  We have an immediate concern.
We have a design review committee meeting tomorrow morning (Sunday 9am), to
hear a request for a fenced dog yard.  >>

(Hi Laura!)

    Sorry this is getting to you later than your meeting; I hope it went well.

    I think they should get the fence; the question is, what kind?  Some
folks have suggested that an "invisible" fence, as opposed to a physical one,
is a better choice.  There are pros and cons to both types.  I lean towards
using a physical fence in the back yards.
    A physical fence needs to be high enough to keep the dog from jumping
over it and installed low enough in the ground to prevent him/her from
digging under it.  So, it will likely create a visual barrier.  However, a
nice looking fence (say, for example,with morning glories or grapes growing
on it) could add an esthetic component.  An invisible fence would allow other
people to walk through the yard, but then there might be some whining about do
ggy poo.  Say, for example, a passing child plays with the dog, brings home a
gift under his shoes and tracks it through the house.  Or, just seeing the
piles of poo as you walk to the Common House or parking lot every day might
provoke a "why don't they clean up that ___?"  Also, one of our families is
worried about a dog getting too playful with a younger child; a physical
fence would decrease the chances that a dog would knock down a child by
accident.

    If you don't have one already, an invisible fence would be a great idea
in the woods or in your large field.  If the Pioneer dog owners split the
cost, a large area could be set off as an unleashed dog run; wear your boots.

    I do think you have to worry about setting a precident.  You  know our
group well enough to know that if someone gets something special, somebody
else is bound to ask for it!  (Laura is our architect, and you should see the
beauteous homes that are just beginning to be finished!)  A fence policy may
be an onerous task, but would add objectivity to future requests.  We all
know it's better to act then react.
That said, I suppose we at Pathways should go ahead and talk about this as
well....  Dang.

 (see you for our walk-through sometime soon...)

        -Roger