Re: use of email for communication
From: Raines Cohen (coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 02:21:08 -0700 (MST)
Joani Blank <jeblank [at] ic.org> wrote on 2/18/00 6:17 PM:

>If someone in your group has no email or checks it very infrequently,  ask
>someone with email to be his or her buddy and take responsibility to convey
>important messages by phone.

The approach EBCOHO [East Bay CoHousing] has taken includes 'buddy'
program elements, for all members, whether or not they are on e-mail. But
at the core, the attitude is: if they don't have e-mail, help them get
e-mail... it can make the whole group communcation much more efficient.
But at least one member insists that we can't assume that he's read
e-mail at meetings.

The group's operations committee is working on building a web-based
intranet [members-only area] that will make it easier to find key
documents and track the decision log, with mapping to meetings so you can
see who was there. My hope in the long run is to encourage the group to
adopt an open-source policy for all but
personal/proprietary/site-specific/negotiation-related info... just as it
has benefited from other group's postings here, policies, documents, and
experiences, it'll make it easier for groups that follow (and improve the
quality of what's available) if we share our tools and documents online
as we go.

I was surprised to find OOCoHo [Old Oakland at Swan's Market], when
presented with a proposal related to requesting use of e-mail for certain
communication functions in the interest of making meetings more
efficient, adopt a policy (at a meeting I missed) that seems to
specifically prohibit its use for discussions because some people don't
like it. Clearly, different people have very different ways of using this
tool, and a group has to find what's comfortable for its members (and
potential members). I think a lot of tensions within the group will
diffuse (or at least mutate into new, more creative tensions) once we
have interactions with each other in person more than at two formal,
packed-schedule monthly meetings.

Raines

Raines Cohen <coho-L [at] raines.com> <http://www.swansway.com/>
Looking forward to living in community -- so near, yet so far!

  Member, Old Oakland [CA] Cohousing at Swan's Market
Where we're signing mortgage papers next week! Punchlist is started.

  Member, East Bay Cohousing [no site yet] <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Which has a few openings at its Getting It Built workshop 2/26-27.