Re: use of email for communication
From: RowenaHC (RowenaHCcs.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 06:22:00 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 2/19/00 4:23:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
coho-L [at] raines.com writes:

<< if they don't have e-mail, help them get
 e-mail... it can make the whole group communcation much more efficient.
 But at least one member insists that we can't assume that he's read
 e-mail at meetings. >>

There are some people who just refuse to get on line but there are lots of
other ways to carry out discussions.  We try and use the buddy system but the
fact is that most of what goes back and forth on a daily basis is just casual
inquiries, opinions, thoughts, and it would be a major imposition to ask
anyone to copy it and unlikely that the recipient would be willing to wade
through it!  Our "white board" in the entry  is heavily used by everyone to
pass on quick hits - including such items as "Read the Proposed Decision on
the Decision Board" or "Has anyone found some keys?"    There are also cork
boards in the mail room and notices get stuck up all over with tape!   And
then there are the casual discussions in the mail room, the garage, or on the
internal pedestrian way, not to mention common meals.  It may be easier for a
dense urban group to keep in touch than the suburban lot model, since we have
to pass each other coming and going.
But when all is said and done, routine decisions can be made in many ways but
the things that really touch people require a couple of face to face meetings
including an opportunity for the minority voices to be heard and listened to
with respect, and to see that they have been heard - something you can't get
on-line.

Rowena
CambridgeCoho