RE: Common House, do it yourself style
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousemail.msn.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:24:35 -0700 (MST)
At Sharingwood we built most of our own commonhouse. One process that was
very effective was the EBS, the emergency bullshit committee. This was a
small task force of building savvy people with one process head who
intercepted and dealt with the "Oh my god, what about this that has to be
done by tommorrow at noon" type of decisions.

The group gave the EBS to explicit permission to do this. Sometimes they
broadcast out a call for opinions, sometimes they just did it. It worked
really well I think. We also rotated community contractors, so I think we
had a total of four members who acted in that role. It was always an
unstated option, that if your bitching became untolerable, you would be
handed the, being in charge bucket, and then YOU could carry that load. This
kept those people that LOVE to kitbitch to a quiet murmer and kept their
tone much mellowier. Actually one of them did take up that bucket and did a
fabulous job of it.

Rob Sandelin
Northwest Intentional Communities Association