Re: Selection and Weirdo stereotyping
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:24:31 -0700 (MST)
> People, not of a
> different race, not of a different religion, not of a different sexual
> orientation, but only of a somewhat different income bracket, are
> deemed as having "no taste."
[snip]
> Each person seems to feel rather uncomfortable in surroundings that
> feel just right to the other.  People with "no taste" tend to self-select
off
> of the decorating committees, unless they are also very strong.

Oh my, yes.  This was part of why I bailed off our common house furnishings
committee once the kitchen was equipped (its first job), because I was
getting this occasional subtle message from one or two people that my
preferences were trashy and working class, and yet a denial that _their_
preferences had anything to do with social class.  The stuff they liked was
just somehow naturally superior, although they had trouble explaining in
concrete terms why.  They couldn't be expected to live with what I was
suggesting, and if I was uncomfortable with their preferences there was
something wrong with me.

It wasn't worth fighting.  I was willing to acknowledge that their tastes
were legitimate, even while resenting their refusal to reciprocate, and I
resigned myself to the results.

This is one of the hidden costs to income diversity.

Kay Argyle
Wasatch Commo