Making meetings more effective
From: Lydia & Ray Ducharme (ducharm1cadvision.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:07:50 -0700 (MST)
Vera in NY wrote:

> In any case, this is what we want to attempt: to use sociocracy with a
concerted
> effort to minimize meetings, to break into smaller groups for the decision
making,
> to do business online, phone, etc., and when we meet, to meet for pleasure
as
> much as possible.
> Additional argument against consensus is that it
> bogs down past a certain group size.

I agree.  We do most of our discussion in smaller committees.  Proposals by
committees
are handed out or emailed in advance and members are asked to be prepared to
decide on the proposals at the next general meeting.  If anyone has problems
with the proposal they are asked to contact the committee ahead of time so
that disagreements can be handled at the committee level.  This system of
decision making has worked extremely well.   Meetings are usually fun.  Very
little time is spent in discussion at the general meeting when this process
is followed.  Meetings can be long and boring when it's not.

Lydia
WholeLife Housing
Calgary, Canada