Cantine's Island/People who need people -article
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepi.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 09:21:31 -0600 (MDT)
just read a really good article from
Newsday  (NYC) Monday, April 24,2000.  My cousin sent it to me.
about Cantine's Island Cohousing near Saugerties, NY.  Don't know if it is on
the web - a nice disucssion of coho compared to other communities.

I enjoyed most the following:
(following a paragraph on what it is not, most emphatically not a commune.) and
then:
"Residents are not counterculture exiles or back to the earthers bummed by
mainstream society. ...neighbors do not flash peace signs from acress the
central common, extol the virtues of tofu (meat dishes often are served at
optional community dinners), exclaim "far out: upon spying daffodils sprouting
near the Esopus or lament in casual conversation that Dick Gregory isnt running
for president"

Interesting what stereotypes the author chose to dispell.  And I have to
admit, some of those things (well, tofu, daffodils) *occasionally* happen here.
Haven't heard much about Dick Gregory, but some about Ralph Nader (or was that
on this list?)

Anyway, we've got great daffodils, tulips, etc. here now.  Yay, spring.

Judy

-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epi.umn.edu
15 homes - 7 new townhomes plus
        8 coop apartments       in the Mansion (a rehab Georgian building)
(built as a retirement home in 1924 -) which also serves as our Common House
coops moved in 1993, townhomes in 1996

**!working on installing a hot tub! and the perennial chores system discussion.
One 3 BR  townhome for sale - see our web page
 web page: http://www.jimn.org/mococo/