Re: Plastics
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepi.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 17:25:19 -0600 (MDT)
(Putting on my _The Natural Step_ hat)

Ideally, the best way to use plastics is to find ways where they get reused at
the quality  of origin, ie hi-grade plastic stays hi-grade , preserving the
energy, resources etc. that went into it, and gets re-used in some sort of
cyclic process, so it doesn't wind up accumulating in the environment (say gets
re-collected and used make more of its original use) as opposed to getting made
into a plastic conglomerate used for speed bumps, etc.

Not many businesses are doing this yet, esp. in U.S. - tho I'm told that in
Europe more and more products are made to be disassembled and components
re-used.

Can't do it now, much, but I think it is good to begin to think this way.

Judy

-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epi.umn.edu
15 homes - 7 new townhomes plus
        8 coop apartments       in the Mansion (a rehab Georgian building)
(built as a retirement home in 1924 -) which also serves as our Common House
coops moved in 1993, townhomes in 1996
One 3 BR  townhome for sale - see our web page
 web page: http://www.jimn.org/mococo/