Re: Best size for Cohousing Community
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:39:58 -0600 (MDT)
<< In a message dated 6/27/2000 2:57:17 PM, argyle [at] mines.utah.edu writes:

<<  I've wondered if a big square,
or cloverleafs of four to five households with a commons (a picnic table on
a lawn or patio) in each center, and the common house at the stem, would
have advantages. >>

The cloverleaf describes Pathways' set-up.  We call each leaf a "pod", with 9
units in the east and west pods and 6 in the south (24 total).  The Common
House is at the north side, with two parking lots north of the east and west
pods.

This set-up does create three small neighborhoods.  I see the folks in my pod
(south) more often.  However, since the only set-up swing set is presently in
the middle of our pod, I see a lot of parents with young children from all
the pods out of my kitchen window.  Having a different set-up in the middle
of another pod would create a different kind of hang-out, mixing up the pods
again.  I like the smaller scale of the "pod commons" (our larger, central
commons is still a pile of dirt, waiting for a final grading and landscaping).

Roger Berman
Pathways
Northampton, MA