Introduction to the Heart Song Community
From: Michael D (ohanamdearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:08:26 -0700 (MST)
Here's a brief introduction to what we're doing and how cohousing fits into
it.  You'll see why I call cohousing a means rather than an end.  (We're
also in the beginning stages of writing a book about psychospiritual
intentional community.)

Michael
------------
The Heart Song Community is a psychospiritual intentional community composed
of people who are committed to awakening to our oneness with God, living a
heart-centered life, being who we really are, developing conscious
relationships, trusting the process of life, expanding our experience and
expression of love, maintaining an attitude of gratitude, practicing
kindness and compassion, following our spiritual guidance, enhancing our
creativity, expecting miracles, living in harmony with our environment, and,
of course, practicing the principles of Spirit-centered intentional
community.

Additionally, the community supports and encourages its members in creating,
developing, and successfully operating a variety of programs that are in
alignment with the community's mission.  Programs already being developed
include teaching, workshops, and public speaking; counseling and
facilitating; ministry; newsletters; web sites; a psychospiritual
entertainment group; a sacred circle especially for supporting creative and
artistic people in their work; a program for spiritual singles; and more.
Members are also encouraged to create and develop programs of their own, if
that's their desire.

The community will eventually consist of 3 tiers of participation:

1. Residential community - will be located somewhere in the Santa Fe, NM,
area and be built on the principles of cohousing.  Cohousing is a form of
community that combines the best of both privacy and community.  Each family
(or individual or group of roommates) has their own private living space,
and the houses (or condos) are arranged so that interaction among people is
facilitated.  Also there are common buildings, a community dining room (as
well as private kitchens and eating spaces), and other shared facilities
(for example, perhaps a swimming pool, an exercise room, a TV/movie room,
shared lawn mowers, a day-care center, a small private school, or whatever
the community desires).

2. Heart Song Community Sacred Circles (Ohanas) that meet in various
locations around the world (including the one in Santa Fe) - wherever 2 or
more people desire to create Spirit-led intentional community according to
the Heart Song Community model and at least one is willing to be trained as
a Heart Song facilitator.

3. E-mail community - an online intentional community based on Heart Song
teachings, values, and practices.  This is already established and in its
formative stages.  See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeartSongCommunity.

We are currently seeking additional founding members to join the first of us
in Santa Fe starting in summer, 2001.  There we will form the first Heart
Song Community Sacred Circle (the Santa Fe Ohana), begin working together to
develop our programs, and begin planning for the residential community.