RE: Playgrounds for preteens
From: Rowenahc (rowenahccs.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 06:09:01 -0700 (MST)
I am not offerin a solution but I do have a question.  What kind of "play
area" could be built on such a limited area that would keep preteens
occupied for any length of time?   Since we live in an urban area we have
much less space - 41 units on 1.3 acres.  Our preteens seem to have a pretty
good time biking, skateboarding and scootering along the internal spine
pathways, playing ball on the lawn, shooting baskets,  and playing ping pong
in the rec room.  We also have parks and stuff nearby but most of the kids
seem to belong to soccer, hockey, gymnastic and other such teams that keep
them busy much of the time. And then there is just hanging out or dressing
up. Most of our kids of this age are girls, does this make a difference?
Once in a while these kids will swing on the swings in the (little kids)
play area but I can't imagine them staying in any small area for any length
of time.

Rowena
Cambridge Cohousing