Re: Commonhouse: Hanging Out
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:21:01 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Sharon Villines <sharonvillines [at] prodigy.net>
>
> Do residents hang out in your commonhouse? Or are most uses scheduled by
> individuals or teams?

Not much hanging, except when there's a fire. In the fireplace, I mean. When
there's a fire, we generally call 911.

> Does walking through to pick up mail, sign up for meals, etc. produce
> meaningful community interactions?

Not alot. But even the occasional "hello" is invaluable, and I wouldn't want
to endanger that casual interaction.

> We have a tension between having sign-ups on our web site or on the bulletin
> boards. The web is more available, on and off site, but others want to
> "encourage" hanging out and serendipitous interactions in the commonhouse by
> requiring bulletin board reading and sign-ups. Does this work?

Interesting. We were developed without email at all, so it never became a
part of our culture. I would think it would be detrimental to relegate
sign-ups to email. Also, almost all of the proposals that come to general
meetings are first posted in the common house. They almost all involve
graphics, so email just wouldn't work.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
Sacramento California