Re: Food safety and hygiene in your common house kitchen
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:15:02 -0600 (MDT)
We all follow the same procedures as we do at home, since we like to believe
we're not an institutional setting. I used to have very long hair and always
made sure to tie it back for cooking. But you generally have to pay people
to require them to wear hair nets!

There *is* one member here who licks her fingers all the time while she's
cooking. I don't eat at her meals, and I won't cook with her. I still don't
have the courage to tell her to knock it off, since very strong hints didn't
work.

My only real concern otherwise is that when you are cooking large quantities
and store them after cooking, it's important to store them in smaller
containers. Large containers (like big stock pots) don't cool off quickly
enough and can lead to food poisoning.

And make sure you leave plenty of time for chicken to cook. When you are
cooking quantities of it, it can take as much as twice as long to cook.
Getting a convection oven solved that problem for us.
--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing