How's your process comittee doing?
From: Margaret Weatherly (martiewearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:47:01 -0600 (MDT)
Hello everyone, I just joined the cohousing-L and want to respond to
Mary Rose.
In Liberty Village, we had a turning point in our "action people vs.
process people" tension a couple of years ago at a retreat with Laird
Schab. In that discussion, we really got that we are all action and
process people, and sometimes lean more one way and sometimes the other.
I stopped seeing myself as a "process" person who wanted to talk about
feelings and all those "action" people wanted to forge ahead with no
consideration for feelings. We stopped being "we" vs. "they".

Maybe a process team highlights the differences and doesn't allow the
community as a whole to deal with tasks and also the processes that are
necessary when we are building a community of caring, committed people.

So we have developed ways of dealing with conflict and developing
relatedness, such as opening most meetings with a check-in on how people
are, dealing with conflict between 2 or 3 people in small groups, doing
a lot of community building events, having very well trained
facilitators, and constantly learning.  But mostly listening to each
other and acknowledging the commitment we all have to this group, even
if we don't agree.

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village Cohousing
Libertytown, MD