Re: RE: [C-L]_Re: toxic frying pan/ Teflon hazards
From: Robert P. Arjet (rarjetlearnlink.emory.edu)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:44:02 -0600 (MDT)
cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org writes:

>Does anyone know how Calphalon is made? Is it also a chemical coating
>that can offgas, or is it a (pricey) alternative, for non-stickness?

To my understanding, Caphalon is anodized aluminum, which means that the
surface is not a coating (that's why you can use metal implements on it
without worrying about scratching).  The aluminum on the cooking surfaces
has been electrochemically changed in a way that resists sticking.  The
same goes for Magnalite.

I respond to this partially I associate anodized aluminum cookware with my
first experiences of cohousing.  I was searching for information on adding
to my Magnalite set, and stumbled onto a discussion of buying cookware for
the commonhouse.  I had no idea what these people were talking about, but
it sounded good.  Yet another unanticipated benefit of registering for
quality cookware when one gets married...

Robert Arjet
Central Austin Cohousing
www.austincohousing.org