Re: Mothering Magazine
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:03:01 -0700 (MST)
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Catya Belfer-Shevett catya [at] homeport.org wrote:

> We've discovered a great advertising/publicity opportunity with Mothering
> Magazine for our group, and I want to see if we can expand it to include
> other groups as well.

Catya, could you clarify a bit about "Mothering Magazine"?
(The name is so generic Yahoo returns 13 web sites for
mothering magazineS...)

I suspect you ar refering to the magazine whose web site is:
http://www.mothering.com .  Is that correct?
It has an "About Us" page that says among other things:
  [Started] 22 years ago out of the need for
  the natural family community to learn about
  raising healthy children, Mothering was the
  birthplace of the natural family lifestyle.
  Read in more than 65 countries...

Their FAQ on "What is Natural Family Living?" is at"
http://www.mothering.com/6-0-0/html/6-2-0/6-2-0.shtml#nfl

Their editorial policy seems (after a brief look at the web site) to
tread a fine line between "conventional wisdom" and "alternatives.
One example that caught my attention:

  There are risks of ... vaccine reactions as well as risks of disease.
  Risk:benefit ratios change over time. Parents can make informed choices

(I think a more 'rational' statement would acknowledge that risks of
disease are much higher without vaccination and much greater than risks of
reactions. )

The offer for mutual PR sounds great but I felt the need to express a few
small reservations and urge avoidance of the implication that cohousers
endorse the editorial policy of this magazine (or most any other).

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson  Minneapolis,MN 55411 fholson [at] cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm Central time) Amateur radio:WB0YQM