Re: Kitchen equipment & dishes
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:12:01 -0700 (MST)
>I also recommend getting quite a few real solid stacking dinner plates and
>bowls of the same kind.  They stack more easily and are less likely to fall
>over.

We are very happy with our Corelle dinner plates, cereal/soup bowls, and
little dessert bowls.

Regular china, and definitely "restaurant/institutional" china is HEAVY.
Corelle has lots of advantages:
it's light
it's slim and many dishes fit on a stack
it cleans up beautifully in the dish washer
many people have some at home - we were able to collect quite a lot from
individuals
it shows up in thrift shops and garage sales
there are Corning outlets here and there where it is sold at lower prices
than usual
it's rather difficult to break, though it looks like china

--
Our range top seems to be doing a good job. A Dacor high-end residential
gas top. It has space to put big pots, gets quite hot, and can also take

Genuine "commercial" stoves get you into different fire-code stuff, and
insurance implications, we were told.

We also have a separate convection oven, with room for several levels of
pans. We're still learning how to choose time and temperatures, as it's
not like either microwave or regular ovens in that regard. Does anyone
have a good guide for convection oven use?

At a festival where I watch them serve food for hundreds of people, they
make good use of baking parchment paper, which goes into the bottom of
baking dishes (lasagna, fish, etc) and keeps stuff from sticking to the
pan. A certain amount of paper bits gets into the food when serving, but
that seems a good trade for encrusted pans. Anyone have a source for this?
--

A recent discovery I made was an expensive ($10?) silicone spatula that
leaves all other spatulas in the dust! It makes a real difference in how

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
where we are happy to have a mail carrier who happily accepts the goodies
in the empty mailbox (in our common-house-foyer set) we have labelled
"treats for the mailman". I was afraid it might be dismissed because of
rules or fears, but I guess the call of chocolate is strong. He's
collected baggies of cookies, brownies, Halloween candy, gingerbread,
apple cake.