Re: Resale
From: Raines Cohen (raines-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:08:01 -0700 (MST)
"Kay Argyle" <argyle [at] mines.utah.edu> wrote on 11/20/01 1:01 PM:

>Price appreciation hasn't occurred for Wasatch Commons.  Units have taken
>sometimes a considerable length of time to sell -- more than a year in two
>cases.  In fact, three households now own a second unit each, renting them
>to households that can't swing the financing for a mortgage.

How does this compare with similar non-coho projects in your region? In
most places I've looked, coho units have done as well as or better than
the surrounding market.

You might want to look at whether sellers are effectively marketing the
elements that distinguish it from a pure "housing" purchase... community
and other benefits. Have sellers tried marketing outside the region as
well?

I'd be interested to see whether you've concluded that community is not a
rare commodity in your area, for cultural or other reasons.

Raines

Raines Cohen <coho-L [at] raines.com> <http://www.swansway.com/>
Who just delivered dinners to 2 of my four friends who just had babies.

  Vice President, Swan's Market Cohousing [Old Oakland, CA]
Site of a delightful community Thanksgiving dinner last Sunday.

  Member, East Bay Cohousing [no site yet] <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Which learned about consensus systems and discussed committee duties at
its last meeting.

  Boardmember, The Cohousing Network <http://www.cohousing.org/>
Reminding you that your employer may match your tax-deductible donations
to this 501(c)3 educational nonmprofit organization.