RE: Resale
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:30:03 -0700 (MST)
Nancy Striniste <strinichung [at] mindspring.com> Chapel Hill, NC
is the author of the message below.
because the message included HTML (also quoted entire digest which would
have gotten it rejected for size);      PLEASE do not post HTML, see
   http://csf.colorado.edu/cohousing/2001/msg01672.html

We have a house for sale in the Arcadia cohousing community, in Chapel
Hill, NC.  It has been on the market for 7 weeks now.  Five houses in our
community have been sold over the past 5 years, and 4 of them sold within
hours, days, or at most a few weeks.  The one that took longer was about
800 square feet, and had a rather unusual floor plan.  The right person
did finally come along, and I believe she is delighted with her house and
with the community.  Several of our resales went to friends/acquaintances
of Arcadia residents.

Our house is taking longer, I think because of the situation in the world
(although cohousing sure seems like a safe place to retreat to in scary
times)  and also because our house is bigger (2034 sq', w/3-4 bedrooms)
and is really designed for a family, and families tend to move more in the
summer.

All the houses in Arcadia have appreciated at least as well as nearby
subdivisions.  An appraiser I spoke with said that he appraises Arcadia
houses as if they had more square footage, to take into account the common
house and other amenities.  Arcadia houses seem to have appreciated about
60% in 5 years.

Nancy S.

P.S.  If you or anyone you know is interested in a passive solar house in
a wonderful, established cohousing community, in a progressive interesting
town-- check out our classified ad at the cohousing website.