Re: Planning the Agenda for the Meetings
From: Martie Weatherly (martiewearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:33:09 -0600 (MDT)
In Liberty Village, our facilitation team ( which includes all the
people who facilitate meetings) also decides the agenda. Our Pathways to
Consensus includes the different ways an issue comes to the agenda for
discussion or decision. It always comes through a team and is always
defined as being for workshop, discussion, feedback, reporting or
proposal. Frequently, on a large difficult issue, we only take a piece
of it for the agenda, keeping us from long, tiring difficult meetings.

At the end of each meeting, we read what issues need to be addressed on
the agenda for the next meeting. We also refer to our timeline with
stickies for various issues that were decided at our semiannual planning
meeting, and often see issues that should be addressed from that.

Five days before the meeting, the facilitation team meets to plan the
meeting. The facilitator puts out a call for agenda items. We usually
don't get answers so we end up checking with each team, but we pretty
well can tell where the issues are that need addressing. Two to three
days before the meeting, the facilitator puts out the agenda.

At the beginning of the meeting, we review the agenda, which does not
have times for the items, and prioritize them and take the most
important first. The facilitators clearly work for the community and do
not make unilateral decisions. We guide the group to accomplish what it
wants.

After trying different ways over the years, we have found that this
works best.

Martie Weatherly, Liberty Village

PS Some people asked for our Pathways to Consensus document. I will
discuss today if we can get that on the web.