Re: RE: common house dishwashers
From: Laura Fitch, A.I.A. (lfitchkrausfitch.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:28:01 -0600 (MDT)

- we had been warned by someone
who (like us) had very little counter space that a commercial washer that
didn't dry was really difficult if there was nowhere to put the racks when
you needed to pull them dripping wet out of the washer and dry and put away
the dishes.

I recommend making sure you do have enough space to but the racks to air dry. They should air dry - which only takes about 5 minutes when the plates come out steaming hot. Hand drying is very unsanitary. Machine drying is a waste of energy and time.

A good location for drying racks is on top of moveable carts. We use carts to bring our dishes in and out of the dining room, as we set-up tables each dinner for 56-64 diners! The carts allow us to set up a drying area very close to the dishwasher, and for the kitchen clean-up crew to easily put the dry dishes straight from the racks onto the storage shelves underneath the carts. When we are all done, the carts are slid underneath a near by counter. Of course the kitchen needs enough floor space in close proximity of dishwasher to accomodate the carts.

Laura

--
Laura Fitch, A.I.A.
Principal Architect