RE: Mental Illness in Cohousing & Society
From: Catya Belfer-Shevett (catyahomeport.org)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:19:01 -0600 (MDT)
> First, I am wondering if cohousing is attracting a disproportionate
> number of people in this situation, and secondly, and much more
> problematic, is how might a cohousing community in its development
> stage, openly have discussions about this as the future members are
> getting to know one another?

We've had some pretty open conversations about members' depression and its
impact on their ability to participate in the group.  We've also had some
pretty open conversations about my (and another person's) fibromyalgia
(chronic pain/fatigue condition), and its impact on our ability to
participate in the group.

We haven't really taken it past that level at this point - it hasn't seemed
warranted.  Maybe it will later?

        - catya
                              ____
Catya Belfer-Shevett      ____\  /      Interested in
catya [at] pobox.com           \  / \/      Cohousing in MA?
www.catya.org              \/       www.mosaic-commons.org